
Well friends, I can't believe three weeks have already come and gone. I have spent a total of about five days at the village school, Centro Scheel, and each day has been a little bit different. Because of my limited Spanish, I have the privilege of working with the school's "cocinera", Edna. Even in the short amount of time i have worked with Edna, I am absolutely amazed at this woman's resourcefulness and skills. Each day she cooks, from scratch, breakfast and lunch for 110 students and faculty; taking whatever minimal budget and donated vegetables to make delicious, nutritious, meals for kids who would otherwise be eating a bag of chips instead. I am learning all sorts of things about cooking- how to peel carrots using only a spoon, how to make delicious soups from scratch, and perhaps my favorite so far; sorting dried black beans (it is SO relaxing!) Many of the kids at Centro Scheel come from the village where the school is located, Las Victorias. This little pueblo sits mostly on a hill and each street winds a different way- making it almost impossible to remember how to get anywhere- luckily I share a "Tuk Tuk" (see earlier picture below) with two friends for our commute from Antigua. The reality of these kids lives strikes me different each day that I am there. There have been days I have left with a heavy heart- wondering how two sisters will keep up the 40 minute bus ride every day to have a chance at an education instead of spending their days sorting recyclables to sell from the local dump. Or how a whole classroom of kiddos will keep the lice out of their hair that we spent half of their school day washing and combing out- when they are returning home to houses, siblings, and parents who are covered in them as well. But most days I have left feeling so humbled- by witnessing a tiny little battle won- a hundred kids showing up to school- some being the first generation in their families to read and write. Much of my day is spent in a little wash room washing dishes- and I have a lot of time to let my thoughts wonder, to pray, and take in the miracle around me. I will attach new photo's below- of the school, the kitchen where I work, and other various pictures I have taken around the city. Hope you are well, and I getting emails- wink wink!